Yiwu Shuanglin Temple
Shuanglin Temple is besides the ancient housing in Fotang Ancient Town,Yiwu City,Zhejiang Province. It is a famous historical relic which has a history of over 1500 years. In A.D. 550, it was officially launched by the king and soon became a divine place worshiped by people local and from afar. It was once the spiritual center of oriental Buddhism, and one of the greatest temples in China.
The real founder of the temple was Master Fu (497-569), the first one who suggested the combination of Buddhism, Taoism and Confucianism. His profound conception was considered as one of the headstream of Chan School. It soon reached the first top time in Sui Dynasty (581-618) - the imperial court and the temple were closely involved. Then in Tang, Song and Yuan Dynasty, the temple met its second height of its development. Shuanglin Temple hosted large numbers of monks from Japan, who wanna learn advance Buddhism from the hosts. Meanwhile, many monks of the temple were sent to Japan on a mission. During that period, the temple really got a great reputation and became one of leaders on Chinese Buddhism.
However, with the time went by, it lost its importance gradually and destroyed by warfire one and again. The temple we see today is a Ming-style architecture rebuilt in 1996, which consists of Memorial Archway, Grand Gate, Hall of Heavenly King, Hall of the Great Buddha and Hall of Saintly Mother, etc.
Out of the new Shuanglin Temple, just few steps away, you will see the ruin of the oldest iron tower – the Shuanglin Iron Tower. It was built in 952, is the treasure of the temple. Originally, it was a twin-pagoda with 8 faces and 5 floors. During the war period, one of the pagodas was damaged and the rest one had only 2 floors with the height of 2.15 meters left.